About ISO 14001 Certification – Environmental Management System
The ISO 14001 Certification is an Environmental Management System (EMS) Standards – This standard provided the requirement of EMS and guideline for use. The ISO 14001 standard is a specific standard for Environmental Management system. The ISO 14001 (EMS) is applicable to any organization that wishes to demonstrate sound environmental performance of the organization by controlling the impacts of their activities, products and services on the environment, consistent with their environmental policy and objectives and Complying with applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
The summarized requirement details of ISO 14001 are given below :
General Requirements of Environmental Management System
Which include the requirement of – development, documentation, implementation of organization Environmental Management System as per ISO 14001 requirement.
The organization shall develop the environmental policy, which includes the top management commitments to continual improvement, prevention of pollution, comply with applicable legal requirements and other requirements to which the organization subscribes which relate to its environmental aspects. The organization’s environmental policy is being communicated to all stake holders and is available to public.
Which include the requirement of – identification of Environmental aspects and their impacts and determination of significant environmental aspects, applicable legal and other requirements, objectives, targets and programme(s).
Implementation and Operation
Which include the requirement of – setting up of Resources, roles, responsibility and authority in relation with EMS requirements, determination of Competence, providing training and awareness on Environmental management system requirements, Communication, Documentation, Control of documents, setting up of the Operational control to reduce the environmental impact, determination of potential emergency situations and establishing the Emergency preparedness and response.
Monitoring and measurement of environmental performance (significant aspects and EMS objectives & targets), Evaluation of compliance, Nonconformity, corrective action and preventive action, Control of records, internal audit.
Which include the requirement of – conduct the Management review meeting on environmental management system, at planned intervals, to ensure its continuing suitability, adequacy and effectiveness. And assessing opportunities for continual improvement identify any need for changes to the environmental management system, environmental policy and environmental objectives and targets.
Benefits of ISO 14001 Certification
- Improve the environmental performance of the organization.
- Environmental pollution reduced.
- Compliance with Legal and regulatory requirements related to Environment.
- Awareness about preparedness of potential Emergency situation.
- Improve the business potential among the competitor.
- Reduce wastage of Energy, natural resources, Raw materials.
- Operation control over the process shall improve.
- Commitment to Nation towards reduction pollution and compliance with legal regulatory requirement shall improve.
Applicant organization shall ensure the followings prior to ISO 14001 Certification (Environmental Management System Certification)
- Implementation of Environmental Management System in the organization. Established the Quality Manual, relevant procedures and SOP’s
- Conducted one complete cycle Environmental Management System Internal Audit.
- Conducted at least one Management review meeting on Environmental Management System.
- Applicable Legal requirements related to Environmental management system have been identified and compliance has been established.
- Significant Environmental Aspects has been identified and its operational control has been implemented.
- Potential Environmental emergency situation has been identified and its preparedness has been established.
ISO 14001 – Environmental Management System Certification Process
- Application review and contract Sign up between OSS and applicant organization.
- Stage-1 Audit.
- Stage-2 Audit.
- Certification decision.
- Issue of certificate.
- Surveillance audit (annually or Half yearly as finalized during application review process and agreed by client).
- Re-Certification Audit (within three years before expiry of certificate).