Road traffic safety – 39001:2012 specifies requirements for a road traffic safety (RTS) management system to enable an organization that interacts with the road traffic system to reduce death and serious injuries related to road traffic crashes which it can influence. The requirements in ISO 39001:2012 include development and implementation of an appropriate RTS policy, development of RTS objectives and action plans, which take into account legal and other requirements to which the organization subscribes, and information about elements and criteria related to RTS that the organization identifies as those which it can control and those which it can influence.
What is ISO 39001?
As an international standard, ISO 39001 specifies the requirements for Road Traffic Safety Management Systems. Additionally, it serves as a tool for organizations to reduce and eventually eliminate accidents, deaths and severe injuries associated with road traffic crashes. Road Traffic Safety (RTS) is considered as a global issue, as the number of accidents that occur worldwide is constantly rising. Therefore, firms and/or individuals, who are committed to improving road safety and offer quality, will benefit from the implementation of ISO 39001. This standard identifies improved elements of road traffic safety, which enable organizations to reach their desired outcomes.
Why is Road Traffic Safety Management important for you?
ISO 39001 sets the requirements for the implementation of a Road Traffic Safety Management System which ensures high quality and efficiency in road traffic management. Road Traffic Safety Management Systems were designed to reduce deaths and serious injuries associated with road traffic accidents. The ISO 39001 international standard is comprised with requirements that assist organizations to establish and implement suitable RTS policies, objectives and strategies. Professionals, who work with road traffic safety, can become ISO 39001 certified and help their organizations to achieve these goals and objectives. They can serve as a stepping stone for their businesses to offer qualitative services, which will lead to better job opportunities and consequently increase their opportunity for higher earnings.
Benefits of ISO 39001 Road Traffic Safety Management
By becoming ISO 39001 certified, you will be able to:
- Ensure quality and road traffic safety
- Increase the efficiency of Road Traffic Safety Management Systems (RTSMS)
- Gain expertise on reducing costs
- Gain competitive advantage
- Help the organization to achieve its objectives
- Ensure customer reliability
ISO 39001 certification enables your organization to work more effectively with the road traffic systems with the goal of reducing injuries and deaths caused by traffic accidents.
The ISO 39001:2012 standard outlines the requirements for a Road Traffic Safety management system (RTS). This standard enables organizations that work with road traffic systems to reduce serious injuries and death caused by road traffic accidents. According to the World Health Organization, injuries related to road traffic accidents are the eighth leading cause of death globally, with an estimated 1.3+ million traffic-related deaths every year.
Certification to the ISO 39001:2012 standard will help your organisation implement your company’s road safety management system objectives and action plans within your operations. Intertek can provide the resources and services necessary to reduce insurance and operational costs, as well as strengthen public safety by minimizing traffic accidents.
In addition to ISO 39001 auditing and certification, Intertek offers introduction seminars covering the development of the standard, who the standard would apply to, and the implementation.
Scope and background
This Standard is applicable to public and private organizations that interact with the road traffic system.
This International Standard is applicable to any organization that wishes to:
- establish, implement, maintain and improve an RTS management system
- assure itself of conformity with its stated RTS policy
- demonstrate conformity with this International Standard
The organization must have a process that by:-
- observes/evaluates the accident numbers, numbers of killed and injured persons …
- provides a continuous improvement of the traffic safety
- observes and evaluates events, that are in connection with the road traffic safety
In section 6 “planning” there is a list of “performance factors” that covers among other things, the following:
a) Risk exposure factors
- Traffic volume and traffic mileage by vehicle and road user type
- Volume of product and/or service provided by the organization
b) Final safety outcome factors
- The number of deaths and serious injuries
c) Intermediate safety outcome factors
– The safe planning, design, operation and use of the road network
- Road design and safe speed especially considering separation (on-coming traffic and vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclists, and horse riders), side areas and intersection design
- Use of appropriate roads depending on vehicle type, user, type of cargo and equipment
- Use of personal safety equipment especially considering seat belts, child restraints, bicycle helmets, motorcycle helmets, and the means to see and be seen
- Using safe driving speed also considering vehicle type, traffic and weather conditions
- Fitness of drivers especially considering fatigue, distraction, alcohol and drugs
- Safe journey planning including consideration of the need to travel, the amount and mode of travel and choice of route, vehicle and driver
– The safe entry and exit of vehicles and road users to the road network
- Safe vehicles especially considering the occupant protection, protection of other road users (vulnerable as well as other vehicle occupants), road traffic crash avoidance and mitigation, road worthiness, vehicle load capacity and securing of loads in and on the vehicle.
- Appropriate authorization to drive/ride the class of vehicles being driven/ridden
- Removal of unfit vehicles and drivers/riders from the road network
– The recovery and rehabilitation of road traffic crash victims from the road network
- Post crash response and first aid, emergency preparedness and post crash recovery and rehabilitation.
Oss Middle East Company:
Aim to help organization in all sectors in Egypt and Middle East to apply the international standard in Quality Management systems in all fields.
OSS accredited by:-
- The Egyptian Accreditation Council (EGAC).
- The German Accreditation (DAKKS).
- American Accreditation (IAS).
OSS register by Many Egyptian Organization:
- The Egyptian Organization for Standards & Quality (EOS).
- EGYPTIAN GENERAL PETROLEUM CORPORATION (EGAC).
- Industrial Modernization Centre (IMC).