OHSAS 18001:2007 is one of the International Standards for Occupational Health and Safety.
Please note: OHSAS 18001 has been replaced by ISO 45001:2018 and you can no longer apply for OHSAS 18001 certification.
OHSAS 18001 was one of the International Standard for Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems. It provided a framework for the effective management of OH&S including all aspects of risk management and legal compliance, and it addressed occupational health and safety rather than any specific product safety matters.
You can download our handy Gap Analysis document which gives a clause-by-clause comparison of OHSAS 18001 and ISO 45001.
OHSAS 18001 Certification is an Occupational Health and Safety Management System (where the OHSAS stands for Occupational Health and Assessment series). The purpose of this OHSAS 18001 standard is to control the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) risk and improve the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) performance in the organization. OHSAS 18001 standards is applicable to any organization that wishes to implement OHSAS 18001 management system and to eliminate or minimize risks to personnel and other interested parties who could be exposed to OHSAS hazards associated with organization’s activities and complying with applicable legal and regulatory requirements related to occupational health and safety. The summarized requirement details of OHSAS 18001 are given below :
General Requirements of Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OHSAS)
Which include the requirement of – development, documentation, implementation of organization’s Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Management System as per OHSAS 18001 standard requirement.
The organization shall develop the Occupational Health and Safety policy, which includes the top management commitments to continual improvement in OHS management, OHS performance, prevention of injury and ill health, comply with applicable legal requirements and with other requirements to which the organization subscribes which relate to its OHS Hazards. The organization’s Occupational Health and Safety policy is being communicated to all persons working under control of organization and is available to interested party.
Which include the requirement of – OHS Hazard identification, risk assessment and determining the control, OHS applicable legal and other requirements, objectives and programme(s).
Implementation and Operation
Which include the requirement of – setting up of resources, roles, responsibility, accountability and authority in relation with Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) requirements, determination of competence, providing training and awareness on Occupational Health and Safety Management System requirements, communication, participation and consultation, documentation, control of documents, setting up of the operational control to reduce the Occupational Health and Safety risk, determination of potential OHS emergency situations and establishing the emergency preparedness and response.
Monitoring and measurement of OHSAS performance (OHSAS objective, effectiveness control set up for reduce the OHSAS Risk, significant OHSAS hazards & its risk), Evaluation of compliance, incident investigation, nonconformity, corrective action and preventive action, control of records, internal audit.
Which include the requirement of – conduct the management review meeting on Occupational Health and Safety Management System, at planned intervals, to ensure its continuing suitability, adequacy and effectiveness and assessing opportunities for continual improvement identify any need for changes to the Occupational Health and Safety Management System, OHSAS policy and OHSAS objectives.
- Minimize the Health and safety Risk in the organization.
- Reduce the accident and incident in the organization.
- Improve Compliance level with Legal and regulatory requirements related to OHSAS.
- Improve the Confidence of person working under control of organization towards their health and safety.
- Reduce the cost toward employee health and safety.
- Improve the business potential among the competitor.
- Improve the confidence of customer and interested party.
- Improved operation control towards employee health and safety.
- Overall improvement of organization reputation towards OHSAS.
- Business opportunity improved.
- Organization has implemented the Occupational Health and Safety Management System in the organization. Established the OHSAS Quality Manual , relevant procedures and SOP’s.
- Conducted one complete cycle Occupational Health and Safety Management System Internal Audit.
- Applicable Legal requirements related to OHS been identified and compliance has been established.
- Significant OHS Hazards has been identified and its operational control measure has been implemented.
- Conducted at least one Management review meeting on Occupational Health and Safety Management System.
- Potential OHS emergency situation has been identified and its preparedness has been established.
- Application review and contract Sign up between OSS and applicant organization.
- Stage-1 Audit.
- Stage-2 Audit.
- Certification decision.
- Issue of certificate.
- Surveillance audit (annually or Half yearly as finalized during application review process and agreed by client).
- Re-Certification Audit (within three years before expiry of certificate).
Oss Middle East Company:
Aim to help organization in all sectors in Egypt and Middle East to apply the international standard in Quality Management systems in all fields.
OSS accredited by:-
- The Egyptian Accreditation Council (EGAC).
- The German Accreditation (DAKKS).
- American Accreditation (IAS).
OSS register by Many Egyptian Organization:
- The Egyptian Organization for Standards & Quality (EOS).
- EGYPTIAN GENERAL PETROLEUM CORPORATION (EGAC).
- Industrial Modernization Centre (IMC).