ISO 22000 Standard is a Food safety management system specifies the requirements for an organization in food chain to demonstrate its ability to control food safety hazards in order to ensure that food is safe at the time of human consumption.
The ISO 22000 standard that combines the key elements – interactive communication, system management and HACCP principles to ensure food safety within the food chain, up to the point of final consumption. The FSMS standard integrates the requirements of HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) principals and applicable step of the HACCP principal. Key focus of this is standard to ensure that food is safe at the time of consumption. The organization shall achieve through effective food safety hazard analysis, implementation of PRP’s, HACCP plan, CCP and establishing effective control measure. This FSMS Standard is generic and applicable to all organizations in the food chain regardless of size and complexity. The summarized requirement details of ISO 22000 are given below : General Requirements of Food Safety Management System (FSMS) Which include the requirement of – development, documentation, implementation of Food Safety Management System (FSMS) as per ISO 22000 standard requirement, define the scope of food safety management system and specify the Products or product categories, processes and production sites which is covered under food safety management system. Documentation Requirements Which include the requirement of – food safety policy, objective, procedures & records. Control of documents, control of records.
ISO 22000 Food Safety Management Systems
Used by organizations across the food chain to help deliver food that’s safe to eat, ISO 22000:2018 is an excellent framework to help implement a food safety management system (FSMS).
How food is grown, transported, manufactured and even consumed has changed significantly since the original standard was published over a decade ago. The new standard considers these changes and aims to help organizations reduce food safety hazards.
In addition to making ISO 22000 and the resulting FSMS easier to integrate with other ISO management systems, the new version of the standard also introduces the Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) cycle and risk-based thinking. By combining PDCA and risk-based thinking to manage business risk with HACCP to identify, prevent and control food safety hazards, ISO 22000 helps organizations to reduce exposure to risk and improve safety.
ISO 22000:2018 has been published
With a greater focus on risk-based thinking and aligned to ISO’s high level structure, the new ISO 22000 Food Safety Management Systems can deliver additional benefits to organizations of all sizes throughout the food chain:
• Improved control over food safety activities
• Customer, statutory and regulatory compliance
• Facilitated market growth
• Increased customer, stakeholder and consumer confidence in products
• Improved risk management
• Integration with other ISO management systems
Organizations currently certified to ISO 22000:2005 will have three years to transition to the new standard.
What is ISO 22000 Food Safety Management?
ISO 22000 is a truly international standard suitable for any business in the entire food chain, including inter-related organizations such as producers of equipment, packaging material, cleaning agents, additives and ingredients.
ISO 22000 is also for companies seeking to integrate their quality management system, for example ISO 9001, and their food safety management system.
The food safety standard combines generally recognized key elements to ensure food safety along the food chain, including:
- Interactive communication
- System management
- Control of food safety hazards through pre-requisite programs and HACCP plans
- Continual improvement and updating of the food safety management system
What are the benefits of ISO 22000?
- Introduce internationally recognized processes to your business
- Give suppliers and stakeholders confidence in your hazard controls
- Put these hazard controls in place across your supply chain
- Introduce transparency around accountability and responsibilities
- Continually improve and update your systems so it stays effective
Which include the requirement of – Management commitment, Food safety policy, Food safety management system planning , Responsibility and authority, Food safety team leader, Communication, Emergency preparedness and response, Management review.
Which include the requirement of – Provision of resources, Human resources, Infrastructure, Work environment.
Planning And Realization Of Safe Products
Which include the requirement of – Prerequisite programs (PRPs), Preliminary steps to enable hazard analysis, Hazard analysis, Establishing the operational prerequisite programs (PRPs), Establishing the HACCP plan, Updating of preliminary information and documents specifying the PRPs and the HACCP plan, Verification planning, Trace-ability system, Control of nonconformity.
Validation, Verification and Improvement of The Food Safety Management System
Which include the requirement of – Validation of control measure combinations, Control of monitoring and measuring, Food Safety Management System verification, improvement. Benefits of ISO 22000 Certification
- Minimize the Food safety Hazards contamination in food.
- Reduce the potential Food born diseases, which may cause due contamination of food.
- Improve Compliance level with applicable statutory and regulatory food safety requirements
- Effective communication on food safety issues to their suppliers, customers and relevant interested parties in the food chain
- Improve the business potential among the competitor.
- Improve the confidence of customer and interested party.
- Reduce wastage of raw materials & time.
- Improved Operation control towards employee health and safety.
- Improve the food safety during emergency situation.
- Improve the identification, traceability and product recall system.
- Improve the credibility of product among the customer.
- Overall Improvement of organization reputation in the market.
- Business opportunity improved.
Applicant organization shall ensure the followings prior to ISO 22000 Certification (Food Safety Management System Certification)
- Organization has implemented the Food Safety Management System in the organization as per the requirements of ISO 22000 standard. Established the Food safety Quality Manual, Food Safety Policy, relevant procedures and SOP’S.
- Conducted one complete cycle Food Safety Management System Internal Audit.
- Conducted at least one Management review meeting on Food Safety Management System.
ISO 22000 – Food Safety Management System Certification Process
- Application review and contract Sign up between OSS and applicant organization.
- Stage-1 Audit.
- Stage-2 Audit.
- Certification decision.
- Issue of certificate.
- Surveillance audit (annually or Half yearly as finalized during application review process and agreed by client).
- Re-Certification Audit (within three years before expiry of certificate).
Whatever their size, or product, all food producers have a responsibility to manage the safety of their products and the well-being of their consumers. That’s why ISO 22000 exists.
The consequences of unsafe food can be serious. ISO’s food safety management standards help organizations identify and control food safety hazards, at the same time as working together with other ISO management standards, such as ISO 9001. Applicable to all types of producer, ISO 22000 provides a layer of reassurance within the global food supply chain, helping products cross borders and bringing people food that they can trust.
What is the difference between ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000?
ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000 are similar in that they are both Food Safety Management Systems that use the ISO 22000 Standard requirements. We will explain the differences and why you might prefer one over the other.
- Download Free FSSC 22000 Quick Start Guide
- What is ISO 22000?
- What is FSSC 22000
- ISO 22000 Online Training & Templates
- FSSC 22000 Online Training
The way FSSC 22000 is different is that it includes additional requirements which result in a robust food safety program. Since it is a robust system and complies with the requirements set out by GFSI, it is a GFSI recognized Food Safety Scheme. This offers a great advantage when selling your product. Many, if not most, of your larger customers ask that their suppliers get certified to a GFSI recognized standard.
Whether you are trying to decide between ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000 Certification, or if you already are certified to ISO 22000 and are wondering if you should transition to FSSC 22000, we can clarify the differences and show why FSSC 22000 is so beneficial.
Difference in Requirements between ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000
|ISO 22000 Certification||FSSC 22000 Certification|
|ISO 22000 Standard||ISO 22000 Standard|
|ISO/TS 22002 series (recommended)||ISO/TS 22002 series (required)|
|FSSC 22000 Scheme: Additional Requirements|
Benefits of FSSC 22000 over ISO 22000
As you can see below, ISO 22000 already offers substantial benefits and is a good FSMS to have in place. FSSC 22000 takes this farther with more
|ISO 22000||FSSC 22000||Why it Matters|
|Management System Approach||√||√|
|Harmonized Structure (HS): possible to integrate with other Management Systems, including combined audits||√||√||ISO 22000 is based on ISO 9001.|
developed by international experts
|HACCP Codex Alimentarius||√||√||Already established and effective method.|
|Focus on Continuous Improvement of the FSMS||√||√||Your FSMS will improve and become more efficient and effective over time.|
|Risk Based Approach||√||√|
|(Full) food supply chain coverage||√||√|
|Focused on the ‘how’ and on results rather than on more prescriptive Certification Programs, focusing on the ‘what’.||√||√||Gives you more flexibility in determining how to meet the requirements.|
However, there are added benefits from using FSSC 22000
|ISO 22000||FSSC 22000||Why it Matters|
|GFSI recognized and as a result globally accepted.||√||Opens doors to larger customers and a larger marketplace.|
|Certification Program of choice for many global food manufacturers with more than 27,000 certified companies.||√||Many of the biggest global food manufacturers already have FSSC 22000 in place. They see the value of FSSC 22000.|
|Visibility through publicly available register of Certified Organizations on FSSC 22000 website||√||The visibility of being certified: FSSC has a public register listing all the FSSC 22000 licensed organizations.Once you are certified, your information will be included, providing visibility to potential new customers.|
|Robust Integrity Program – leading to reliable audits and certification||√||FSSC 22000 has an integrity program to make sure that certification audits are being conducted properly and fairly.|
|Applicable category specific technical specification for PRPs fully included: ISO/TS 22002-xx or PAS 221 (retail & wholesale)||√||Applicable category specific technical specifications for PRPs are fully included within FSSC 22000, whereas ISO does require PRPs, but doesn’t require to use the technical specifications.This makes FSSC 22000 certified Food Safety Management Systems more robust: meeting the requirements from the technical specifications ensures that the PRPs are on a very high level.Having category specific requirements (such as farming, perishable animal products, food processing, feed production, food ingredients and food packaging material manufacturing) also means that the requirements will be tailored to your industry.|
|Cooperating with major international associations within the consumer goods industry and retail and authorities.||√||FSSC is in close contact with many associations in China, in India, in Europe, in the US. There are close connections with food authorities.|
|Agility through leveraging additional requirements as needed.||√||FSSC 22000 additional requirements might seem more complex, but they help to have a robust and reliable certification process, which supports the value of the certification. It adds flexibility for food organizations as well (examples: requirements on food fraud and food defense).|
Transitioning from ISO 22000 to FSSC 22000
If you are already certified to ISO 22000, you will need to build on that by implementing the PRPs, if you have not already. You will select the version for your industry.
Implement FSSC 22000 additional requirements. Download this document free here.
- Transitioning from ISO 22000 to FSSC 22000 is the most efficient way to proceed from ISO 22000 to a GFSI recognized Certification Program.
- Relatively easy for ISO 22000 Certified Organization to meet FSSC 22000 requirements.
- The amount of time it will take will depend on the content and implementation of your ISO 22000 system.
- A GAP analysis will identify any missing elements.
The Transition Certification Audit
A valid ISO 22000 certificate in the applicable FSSC 22000 category is required.
The transition audit is stage 2 audit: a start of a new 3-year FSSC 22000 certification cycle.
Oss Middle East Company:
Aim to help organization in all sectors in Egypt and Middle East to apply the international standard in their system.
OSS accredited by:-
- The Egyptian Accreditation Council (EGAC).
- The German Accreditation (DAKKS).
- American Accreditation (IAS).
OSS register by Many Egyptian Organization:
- The Egyptian Organization for Standards & Quality (EOS).
- EGYPTIAN GENERAL PETROLEUM CORPORATION (EGAC).
- Industrial Modernization Centre (IMC).