Certification to the ISO 50001 standard ensures that your organization has a healthy energy management system, reducing energy consumption, environmental impact and increasing profitability.
It specifies requirements for management practices that are important to obtain improved energy performance. Demonstrates to customers, employees, and stakeholders that efficient use of energy is prioritised in your organisation and that energy is managed systematically. Allows for credible market communication about energy performance efforts.
The standard specifies the requirements for establishing, implementing, maintaining and improving an energy management system, whose purpose is to enable an organization to follow a systematic approach in achieving continual improvement of energy performance, including energy efficiency, energy security, energy use and consumption. The standard aims to help organizations continually reduce their energy use, and therefore their energy costs and their greenhouse gas emissions.
ISO 50001 was released by ISO in June 2011, and is suitable for any organization – whatever its size, sector or geographical location.
The system is modelled based on the ISO 9001 Quality Management System (QMS) and the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System (EMS), but adding the significant feature of improving the «Energy Management System» and the resulting «energy performance». Improving of quality and environmental performance is not described in the ISO 50001 as a requirement.
Organizations of all types and sizes increasingly want to reduce the amount of energy they consume. This is driven by the need or desire to:
- reduce costs,
- reduce the impact of rising costs,
- meet legislative or self-imposed carbon targets,
- reduce reliance on fossil fuels, and
- enhance entity’s reputation as a socially responsible organization.
In tandem, governments increasingly want to reduce the Greenhouse Gas Emissions of their citizens and industries, and are imposing legislative mechanisms to compel carbon reduction more and more frequently.
ISO 50001 also drew on existing national and regional energy management codes and standards, including ones developed in China, Denmark, Ireland, Japan, Republic of Korea, Netherlands, Sweden, Thailand, the USA and the European Union.
There are seven major components to ISO 50001:
- General Requirements:
- Management Responsibility
- Energy Policy
- Energy Action Plan
- Implementation and Operation
- Performance Audits
- Management Review
What is ISO 50001
ISO 50001 is a voluntary international standard. It applies to organisations of any size, and provides requirements for establishing, managing and improving their energy consumption and efficiency.
ISO 50001 is designed to be compatible and harmonised with other system standards, such as ISO 14001 for environmental management systems and ISO 9001 for quality management systems. It is therefore ideal for integrating into existing management systems and processes such as environmental, and health and safety.
- ISO 50001 assists facilities in evaluating and prioritizing the implementation of new energy-efficient technologies and in improving energy efficiency, energy use and consumption. It also creates transparency and facilitates communication on the management of energy resources.
- It promotes energy management best practices and behaviors and provides a framework for promoting energy efficiency throughout the supply chain and facilitates energy management improvements for greenhouse gas emission reduction projects.
Benefits of becoming certified
Certifying your energy management system to the ISO 50001 standard may benefit your organisation in many ways. A certified management system confirms that you are working structured and strategically to reduce the organisation’s environmental footprint, and that you are committed to further improvement of environmental management.
Certification to the standard can contribute to:
- Improvement of energy performance, including energy efficiency, use and energy consumption.
- Reducing environmental impact, including greenhouse gas emissions without affecting operations and simultaneously increasing profitability.
- Continual improvement of the energy management systems.
- Ensuring measurement, documentation, reporting and benchmarking of energy consumption.
- Credible market communication about energy performance efforts.
Why ISO 50001?
- ISO 50001 is a proven standard. Its implementation leads to reduced energy use and increased productivity and competitiveness.
- ISO 50001 is business-friendly. Organizations adopting the ISO 50001 standard are realizing initial energy improvements of 10% or more and achieving net cost savings, mostly through low-cost or no-cost changes to operations. A significant share of multinational companies are already familiar with other ISO management system standards (e.g., ISO 9001 and 14001), substantially strengthening the potential for private sector uptake and integration into sustainability strategies.
- ISO 50001 is already being adopted globally. The standard is an accepted and trusted means to energy savings with robust measurement and verification to support climate reductions.
- The standard enables transparent progress on meeting climate commitments. The COP21 agenda called for globally relevant and transparent benchmarks for measuring progress toward international climate commitments. As an international standard developed in partnership with over 50 countries, ISO 50001 meets this need. Complementary policies and programs for IS0 50001 already exist in key markets such as China, India, the United States, and the European Commission. Direct links can be made between existing programs and new domestic and international climate commitments.
- Implementation effects enduring change and impacts. ISO 50001 helps organizations go beyond a simple project-based approach to energy efficiency. By embedding strategic energy management as an integral business practice, companies ensure that energy efficiency opportunities are continually realized and energy gains endure and grow over time.
Improve your energy performance and reduce energy costs with ISO 50001
With an ISO 50001 certified energy management system, your organization will improve its energy balance and reduce CO2 emissions. This leads to increased profitability and improved competitive advantages through lower energy costs. By identifying optimization potentials, your organization’s success will be maximized through the introduction of new energy-efficient technologies.
The High-Level-Structure (HLS) provides a guideline to help you optimally unify the structure and requirements of your energy management system. This superordinate structure facilitates the implementation and maintenance of several management systems and supports the development of integrated management systems.
ISO 50001 certification will increase your employees’ awareness and motivation toward a more efficient use of energy, document your energy performance improvement efforts and promote the positive branding of your organization.
The benefits of ISO 50001 certification for you
Save time and cut costs with ISO 50001 certification in combination with ISO 14001 and ISO 9001
ISO 50001 certification in combination with ISO 14001 and ISO 9001
We certify management systems quickly, effectively, and economically. Energy, environmental or quality management systems – you can find the perfect mix for your organization to make you even more successful.
Stages of your 50001 certification
- Preliminary audit (optional): Performing an initial assessment and flushing out potential vulnerabilities in the management system
- GAP analysis (optional) Analysis to support you in successfully converting from ISO 50001:2011 to ISO 50001:2018
- Certification audit: Checking your documentation and practical application of your energy management system
- Issue certificate and list your organization in our online certification database Certipedia
- Surveillance audits: Annual surveillance of the ongoing optimization of your processes and energy management system
- Re-certification before the end of three years
OSS Middle East Provide all field with quality services and Management Systems to ask for a price list or free consultation for any services we provide contact us now!
Oss Middle East Company:
Aim to help organization in all sectors in Egypt and Middle East to apply the international standard in Quality Management systems in all fields.
OSS Accredited by:-
OSS register by Many Egyptian Organization: